[Talk] Seven Proverbs for ... Your Stresses

看板EngTalk作者 (hisunshine)時間15年前 (2009/06/06 15:07), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Seven Proverbs for Channeling Your Stresses author: Julia Chiang Proper amount of stress can stimulate our passion for work, tap our latent ability and ignite inspirations. Are you going nuts from stresses? Stresses from all sides: from work, from family, interpersonal relationship etc. etc. Stresses so great you could hardly breathe. When you work under pressure from all corners, do you feel like “frantic, want to pull my hair” or “challenged and energetic”? Even though these two types of reactions to stress make little difference physiologically, but more and more Stress Experts are claiming that “work stress” has positive value, meaning that stress can either boost or blast a person. The power of choice lies actually in our own hand. How shall we positively react to stress from work? There are seven proverbs that can alleviate our stress and elevate us to a new horizon: 1. Greet stress with positive attitude: Redefine “stress”. Stress is man’s adaptive reaction to an outward situation which would lead to physical, mental and behavioral changes. The truth is that not all stresses are destructive in nature. Appropriate amount of stress can actually trigger our passion for work, tap our latent abilities and even ignite inspirations. When tasks are accomplished, the joy of fulfillment is beyond description. Try to imagine a demanding project as booster to aspire for our best, taking the opportunity to acquire new skills and develop latent energy within us. Complaint would only drain our resource, but a positive, optimistic attitude would cheer us up. Say to your-self: “I will have the ability to face and handle the new challenge. ” Then, usher in the new, high-impact day with an upbeat spirit. “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13) 2. Positive reaction: Stress is not caused by the situation, but is your perception in response to the situation. Sometimes we cannot have a positive attitude when we are racing with time to beat the deadline. For instance, you are in the middle of a big project when suddenly, the computer is down. But in spite of the frustration, you can still cope with the unexpected trouble with good composure, responding in positive manner. From a scale of one to ten, one being a warning signal, ten meaning three strikes and you are out, try to give your inner condition a run through. If your dilemma does not mean the end of the world, ask yourself whether you would still remember this crisis three months, three weeks or even three days from now? Remind yourself! Before a calamity comes your way, accumulate a good reserve for your energy. “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” (Psalm 28:7) 3. First things first: Learn to readjust your perspective and pace. Focusing on the secondary priorities would only side-track your upper most priority for the day or for the week. Put the first thing first would heighten your sense of alert, bringing out the productive energy in you without making you anxious and going nuts for petty things. Create a rhythm for your day. Take a break every sixty to ninety minutes to replenish your strength. A fifteen minutes’ refreshment away from your desk with a cup of tea and some physical stretches can do wonders to you. Don’t get fixated on your project. You will find that after you are recharged, you have more vitality to face the challenges ahead. “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” (Psalm 55:22) 4. Have proper amount of exercise: Regular exercise is key to stress management. Wiggle your legs, wave your hands, relax your shoulders and bend your waist. These aerobic exercises can release the energy inside you. Walk a few flats to your office instead of taking the elevator. These freebies can be neglected but make a huge difference to your system. “Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.” (3 John 1:2) 5. Clean up the clutters: Spend a little bit time to rearrange your desk. Instead of wasting time, delaying your progress, it would make you feel more refreshed and relaxed. After your mood is adjusted, you will find that your work would be more efficient. “Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. ” (2 Timothy 2:3) 6. Replenish your body: Do you skip your meals when you are under great stress at work? This seemingly negligible habit can wreak havoc to your system, plunging you into the abyss of endless fatigue. Take some low-fat snacks every couple of hour. Make sure you sleep for eight hours a day. Avoid high-carbohydrate meal late at night. Do not binge drink. It would mess up your sleep pattern. “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46:10) 7. Cope with fear: Stress cannot paralyze a person, but fear can. Many times our stress arises from the worries within us rather than outside demand from work or dealine. Ask yourself, what is the root of your fear? Is it your perfectionism that is making you feel awful? Are you feeling you are defeated? Is your pride hurting you? Do you feel you are compared down with your peer? Also, examine your heart. Why do you have to wear the name brand cloth, watches, or drive certain model of cars? What is the true motive behind what you do? List all the fears you might have. Take a thorough look at yourself. Deal with these inner fears one by one. “So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?” (Matthew 6:31) Lastly, remember, don’t go nuts over these petty things! Most things we encounter daily are petty! (Published on 《EFC Journal》 EFCCC No.138 August, 2007 translated by: Violet Chen) http://www.julia4christ.org/English/EJF7job_proverbs.htm -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 118.166.4.244 ※ 編輯: hisunshine 來自: 118.166.4.244 (06/06 15:08)
文章代碼(AID): #1AAXN5VQ (EngTalk)