[外電] Brad Stevens將成為NBA下一個傑出教頭

看板Celtics作者 (Hunting)時間11年前 (2013/07/05 11:50), 編輯推噓28(2806)
留言34則, 27人參與, 最新討論串1/1
這是上面一點的文章裡feelike大推薦的文章 小翻譯一下給大家認識這位年輕的新教頭 SB NATION http://ppt.cc/eH1L Brad Stevens is the NBA's next great head coach by Kevin O'Connor ever in my wildest dreams did I imagine the Boston Celtics would be able to grab Brad Stevens away from the tight grip Butler University had on him and he had on it. For the past six years, Butler has been blessed to have one of the greatest young coaches in college basketball -- no, not just a young coach -- but one of the greatest coaches in college basketball, period. 即使在我最離譜的夢境裡,我都不會夢到綠軍能把Stevens從 緊緊掌握彼此的Butler大學給挖出來。過去的六年,Butler大 學就像上帝保佑一般,擁有最優秀的年輕教頭---不,或許是 最優秀的大學教頭之一。 Somehow Danny Ainge and the Celtics pulled it off. 但Ainge不知用了什麼魔法,成功地招攬了Stevens。 The attraction of coaching one of the supreme franchises in the history of sports, a six-year deal worth $22 million dollars, and a bright future was enough to lure him away. Brad Stevens is the perfect fit for this team and I'm putting this on the record: I believe Stevens could quickly become one of the best coaches in the world. 或許是能夠執教最成功的球隊、6年22M的大型合約和一片光明 的前途讓Stevens點頭的吧。 我認為,Stevens與Celtics可以說是一拍即合,而且各位記住 我說過這句話吧:Stevens將會成為世界最棒教頭之一。 It might seem a little premature for me to make that declaration about a coach with only six years of head coaching experience -- at the college level, no less -- but he has all the tools to become one of the greatest. Like college athletes, hours and hours of scouting go into predicting the ceiling of each player. With coaches the same can be said. That's why Brad Stevens was the Celtics' number one choice and has been on their list of potential successors to Doc Rivers for quite a long time now. That's why fans of college basketball are distraught over losing him to the NBA after expecting him to be the next "Coach K." I believe Brad Stevens is brilliant hiring by the Boston Celtics for many reasons, but mostly for his ability to unite his team, his analytic approach to the game, the respect he has received from his coaching peers, and his style of defense. 或許這樣說一個僅有六年執教經驗---而且還是大學籃球---的 小伙子是有點過譽了,但他擁有成為成功教練所需要的一切。 現今的教練和球員一樣受到嚴格的挑選,而Stevens已經在綠 軍的口袋清單裡很久很久了。大學籃球球迷非常絕望因為他們 原本期待Stevens能成為下一個Coach K。 有幾個理由讓我很欣賞綠軍的決定,Stevens有能力整合他的球 隊、能冷靜地分析球賽、受人尊重,並重視防守。 "We Not Me" Philosophy Ubuntu is a term that many Boston Celtics have become familiar with over the years. Essentially the word means, "I am because we are." At Butler University, Brad Stevens created his own keys to success in the form of a pyramid. Within the pyramid there are four categories, from most to least important: Character, Preparation, Performance, and Results. When asked about this philosophy Brad Stevens said, "The only thing we talk about is the process. We always say win the next game one possession at a time. You can have a goal of winning a National Championship or getting into the Final Four, or whatever the case may be. But it's baby steps, there's a process to get there and the focus has got to be on that." "萬眾一心"的哲學 綠血人都知道Ubuntu這個字對綠軍的重要性。在Butler大學,Stevens 有他自己一套辦法實現這個意義。 想像一座金字塔,基底是特質,其上依序是準備、表現及結果。 Stevens對自己這套哲學表示,我們最重視,也是唯一重視的是過程。 我們強調一步一腳印,你可以儘管訂下長遠的目標,但真正重要的 是如何踏實地一步步邁向目標,專心致志於過程的每一拍。 The first and most important part of the pyramid is Character. Butler tradition has had something like this for years called, "The Butler Way." The five principles of that are: humility, passion, unity, servanthood, and thankfulness. According to ButlerSports.com, "The Butler Way demands commitment, denies selfishness, accepts reality, and yet seeks improvement everyday while putting the team above self." Next is Preparation: "In basketball, we look at it like it is life by inches or death by inches," Stevens said. "There are 150 possessions per game. It may be one or two possessions one way or the other." Butler has been known as one of the most well prepared teams in recent years, so it should come as no surprise that preparation has been stressed so much. 構成金字塔基礎的是特質。Butler大學稱Stevens的五個原則為"Butler Way" 他們分別是謙卑、熱情、團結、奉獻、感恩。 這些特質讓球員能把隊伍放在個人之前。 其次是準備。在球場上,生死不過一線之隔。每場比賽有150次 進攻機會,勝負可能就決定於其中的一兩個----Butler大學在過 去的六年間總是準備好面對每種球場上不同的情況,對每種可能 性都做了充足的準備。 The third tier is Performance. Brad Stevens describes this as simply, "doing your job." New England Patriots' head coach Bill Belichick has often been heard saying the same exact thing. Basically, it means doing your specific job over the course of the game and performing as best as you can. The last part of the pyramid is Results. Stevens says, "Be sure to care about the work and do everything you can to promote character, pay attention to details, expect great performance and let the results take care of themselves." Sounds a lot like Ubuntu, yes? I'd say so. Team unity is something that Brad Stevens built at Butler and something I believe that he will bring to the Boston Celtics as well. 第三個是表現。Stevens定義為"做好該做的事。"就這麼簡單。 最後,金字塔的最上面,將是結果。 Stevens告訴球員,要在乎自己所做的事,鍛鍊內心,注意細節, 期許自己能拿出最棒的表現,盡人事之後,才能聽天命。 聽起來和Ubuntu是多麼的相似,是吧?Stevens強調團結,而我 相信他也會把一樣的哲學帶來的。 ----- Masters of Analytics Since Brad Stevens was hired as the head coach of Butler, the school has been regarded as one of the greatest schools in the country at preparing for each and every one of their opponents. After reaching the Western Conference Finals, former Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins was let go by the team because of "major philosophical differences." The Grizzlies wanted a coach that would buy into an analytical approach to the game, which seems to be the path the NBA is headed towards. 分析大師 Stevens執教的Butler大學被公認為最了解對手的球隊。 Lionel被認為欠缺科學分析對手的能力而被灰熊開除,證實NBA 現在越來越重視分析這塊領域。 Brad Stevens is a very progressive hiring for that reason. Stevens was the first coach in the history of college basketball to hire a statistics-based assistant on his staff, Drew Cannon. Sports Illustrated's Pete Thamel wrote about Stevens' and Cannons' relationship and approach to the game earlier this year. To put it simply, Brad Stevens approaches basketball from a stats-based perspective. As Thamel put it, "Stevens trusts what he sees with his eyes but says, ‘The numbers bear themselves out pretty accurately over the course of time.'" It's hard to get a read on what's really happening behind closed doors, but here's an excerpt from the article that gives us a little bit of insight: Stevens是第一個聘用數據分析師(Drew Cannon)的大學教頭 SI將Stevens描述為一名根據數據執教的教練,他只相信眼見為憑, 相信數字自己會說話。 以下這段文章能更清楚的解釋一些細節: Butler has found secret weapon in statistical guru Drew Cannon - Pete Thamel - SI.com What makes Cannon's value tricky to quantify is that he and Stevens are reluctant to share many specifics of his research. There are simple things he does like keep practice statistics, track the efficiency of specific set plays and the statistical tendencies of opponents. But as far as the in-depth statistical analysis, Stevens gave only a peek as to not forfeit an edge. Cannon sends Stevens a 10-page e-mail breaking down and analyzing the numbers after every Butler game. The report takes 10 to 12 hours for Cannon to put together. Cannon's greatest value is with lineup analysis, as Stevens terms his work "unreal." "It includes every player, pairs of players, groups of three, big lineups, small lineups, etc.," Stevens said. Cannon will also include the offensive and defensive efficiency of Butler's players from previous matchups with an opponent, which Stevens said, "Will help me determine probable sub patterns, late game lineups, etc." Cannon的貢獻難以估計,因為他雖然有數以百計關於對手的 練習、戰術和場上表現的數據,卻不願公開。 但有個數據可以看看:每場比賽結束之後,Cannon都會寄一 封信給Stevens,每封包含了十面的分析的信,都讓Cannon 坐在電腦前十到十二個小時。 Cannon對球員名單的貢獻尤其巨大。一個球員、一對球員, 甚至是三個、四個球員的組合,進攻、防守的效率,面對不 同對手的表現,都讓Stevens能夠更有效率的決定誰應該上 場和何時該上場。 ----- Defensive System Brad Stevens will be another head coach in the NBA that believes defense is the foundation of a championship contending team. In recent years coaches like Tom Thibodeau and Erik Spoelstra have gained a large amount of respect around the league due to their philosophies on the defensive end of the floor and for the success their teams have had. In six seasons with Butler, Brad Stevens' teams have averaged as the 206th ranked team in the country in offensive rebounds per game. This technique to not attack the offensive boards aligns with what Doc Rivers and Tom Thibodeau had preached in their time in Boston. Last season, both teams that met in the NBA Finals -- the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs -- were ranked in the bottom three for offensive rebounds per game. The Boston Celtics averaged the least in the league. Like the Heat, Spurs, and Celtics, simply getting back on defense was Stevens' first step to having a fundamentally sound defense at Butler. He will bring this same philosophy to Boston. 防守系統 Stevens是另一位強調防守至上的教練。錫箔和濕婆都靠一樣 的哲學獲得了成功。 在Butler的六個球季間,Stevens的球隊在進攻籃板排名是全 國第206名,這點和Doc還有錫箔強調的一樣:不要為了進攻籃 板而讓回防失誤。冠軍賽的兩隊,熱火和馬刺,分別是進攻籃 板排名倒數二和三。(guess who is the last?) With drastically different personnel in the NBA, Brad Stevens' greatest difficulty to overcome will be getting through to his players. But if he manages to get the team to buy in to his team-first philosophy, the style of defense should remind viewers of some of the more recent great Boston Celtics defenses. During my internship with Comcast SportsNet New England I was able to discuss defensive philosophies with Brian Scalabrine. Him and I talked about how defending doesn't end when a shot is taken, it's over when the possession of the ball has finally changed. That means that rebounding -- which is often mistaken as a separate entity -- is an integral part of the success of your defense. This is one part of Stevens' defensive philosophy that I absolutely love; Brad Stevens puts a strong emphasis on boxing out after the shot is taken. One of my greatest criticisms of Doc Rivers was the lack of importance he seemed to place on boxing out. After Tom Thibodeau left to coach the Chicago Bulls, I thought the Celtics tended to rely more on athleticism to grab rebounds instead of technique. Stevens最大的挑戰是球員管理,但一旦他成功的傳達他的哲學 我們可以期待綠軍的銅牆鐵壁再現。白曼巴曾經跟我說過,防 守並不結束於球出手那刻,而是結束於球權到手那刻,這代表 防守籃板不應該獨立於防守系統之外。Stevens非常強調出手後 的卡位,而這正是錫箔離開後綠軍所欠缺的。 With Butler, Stevens says that he preaches the importance of finishing plays and teaches boxing out based on the individual attributes of each player. He teaches that less mobile players (centers and power forwards) have the responsibility of boxing out the offensive player to keep them from getting the ball and more mobile players (guards and small forwards) may quickly hit their man and then pursue the ball. If Brad Stevens is able to bring his same philosophy of getting back on defense, boxing out, as well as his extremely complicated half court defensive schemes, the Boston Celtics could have lots of success in the near future. Stevens會根據球員的特性指導不同的卡位方式,禁區球員要負責 卡死對方攻擊性高的球員,讓靈活度高的鋒衛來搶球。 如果綠軍能接受Stevens對回防的堅持、卡位的嚴格要求,和複雜 的半場防守體系,那光明的前途是可以預期的。 ----- Respect from his Peers Even though he's only 36-years-old, Brad Stevens has already gained enormous respect for his coaching peers. I'll just let the following quotes speak for themselves: "Coach Stevens is a Hall of Fame coach. He's just not old enough for you to call him that yet." - Buzz Williams, Marquette head coach "He's an outstanding coach...He's terrific. It's a great hire for the Celtics. He'll have respect. He's accomplished. Players respect success. He's had great success right away, so I don't think he'll have any problem with the players respecting him. They'll respect him, they respect excellence; he has it. It's a terrific hire." - Mike Krzyzewski, Duke head coach "The best young coach I have seen in my time." - Jim Boeheim, Syracuse head coach "I've gone through seven, eight game tapes of Butler. It's the best coaching clinic you can have. Their attention to detail, their execution defensively and offensively is textbook." - Dave Paulsen, Bucknell head coach 來自同行的敬重 僅僅36歲,Stevens卻被同行敬重有加。 Buzz Wiliams,Marquette教練 "如果不是因為年紀,我會稱這傢伙是名人堂等級的教練" Coach K "傑出的教練,他超讚的。綠軍走了一步好棋。球員都尊重成功 的人,而我相信Stevens可以馬上獲得成功。他會馬上獲得所有 人的尊敬,毫無疑問。" Jim Boeheim,雪城教練 "我這輩子看過最棒的年輕教練。" Dave Paulsen,Bucknell教練 "我看了幾場Butler的比賽,Stevens的調度已經登峰造極了。 每個細節、每個戰術執行都可以被寫進教科書。" ----- Brad Stevens has many obstacles to overcome in order to reach his potential as a head coach for the Boston Celtics but he has a lot going for him that many other college-to-pro coaches didn't. Stevens, for one, isn't someone that looks for all the attention like many of the other great college basketball coaches. He brings a calm and cool demeanor to the court, so his teams respect and emulate that. He s also isn't entering a situation with enormous expectations in year one. While there are no guarantees the Boston Celtics go into full rebuild mold, they are most certainly in a drastic retooling period. Expectations will be relatively low this season, so Stevens will only need to excel in player development -- something he has much success with -- with less emphasis on the win-loss column. Brad Stevens is also joining an organization with an extremely stable ownership group. From Wyc Grousbeck to Danny Ainge, the front office seems to be well intact. Management has also clearly stated how much confidence in him by signing him to a lengthy and pricey six year, $22 million dollar contract. The Boston Celtics have traded away most of what has made them great in the past decade in Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Doc Rivers. But with some of the remaining players on the team, the future draft picks, and Brad Stevens as the coach of the franchise, the future is extraordinarily bright. 或許擔任一個NBA教驗有許多困難,Stevens還是有許多優勢。 不像大多數大學教頭都很激動,他總是很冷靜並且冷酷。 大多數的人並不會指望進入重建期的綠軍能有什麼經然表現, 因此Stevens並不會承受太大的壓力。他的首要任務是幫助年 青人成長,勝負並不是那麼重要了。 綠軍的經營階層也非常的穩定,Wyc和Ainge的組合一向運作順 暢,也透過大合約展示了對Stevens的信任。 即使綠軍交易走了KG、PP和Doc,但是靠著留下的潛力股和選秀 權,加上傑出的Stevens的加入,Celtics正在開闢一條康莊大道。 ----- 有點長= =" 大家隨興看看吧~ 翻譯沒有完全照翻有加一些個人註解 但盡量保持原意囉 下一季真是出乎意料地讓人期待啊! Let's Go Celtics!!!!! -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.112.25.97 ※ 編輯: z2114422 來自: 140.112.25.97 (07/05 11:50)

07/05 11:59, , 1F
辛苦了,翻得真棒
07/05 11:59, 1F

07/05 12:00, , 2F
推用心
07/05 12:00, 2F

07/05 12:02, , 3F
Let's Go Celtics!!!
07/05 12:02, 3F

07/05 12:12, , 4F
期待歸期待,還是希望明年戰績不要太好XDDD
07/05 12:12, 4F