Brewers fall to Redman, Bucs

看板Brewers作者 (叫我海洋壹哥!@#$%^&*())時間19年前 (2005/04/14 23:17), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
MILWAUKEE -- Move the fences a few feet in, and the Brewers might have won a ballgame Tuesday night. "Maybe, but you're going to have a hard time getting me to agree with that one," right-hander Gary Glover said. Glover is a pitcher, so he's biased. Geoff Jenkins, Damian Miller and J.J. Hardy might agree to a fence-lift after they watched late-inning fly balls turn into long outs instead of short home runs in the Brewers' first loss to the Pirates this season, 4-2, in front of 10,927 at Miller Park. Daryle Ward hit a two-run, go-ahead home run for Pittsburgh that clanked off the right-field foul pole in the sixth inning and starter Mark Redman somehow survived an injury scare the next half-inning to lead the Pirates to their first win over the Brewers in four meetings this year. "Three balls right to the wall," Brewers manager Ned Yost lamented of the drives by Jenkins, Miller and Hardy. "They made nice plays on them." But the player of the game was Redman (1-0), who surrendered two quick runs in the first inning -- Junior Spivey tripled home a run, then scored on Lyle Overbay's groundout -- before shutting down the Brewers into the sixth. Spotted a lead in the top of the sixth inning when Ward's first hit of the year was a home run off Glover (0-1), Redman struck out Spivey and Overbay to bring up Carlos Lee. The big Brewers slugger lined Redman's first pitch at the left-hander's right knee cap, and Redman crumpled to the ground in a heap as teammates and trainers rushed to his side. "I thought that was something that could put him out for a long time," Yost said. "The ball hit him square on the knee -- boom! I was totally amazed that he could get up and pitch after that." But that's just what Redman did. After a few moments, he threw three warm-up pitches and remained in the game. He escaped the inning when Jenkins lifted a long fly out to the left-field warning track. "It's unbelievable," Glover said. "I hope he's alright. I've seen some people do some crazy things in the middle of games -- I don't know if it's the adrenaline rush that allows them to tolerate that kind of pain. Obviously, he felt it. He went down like he got shot. I was waiting to see him get carried off the field." The Brewers had more chances. Facing reliever Salomon Torres, Miller led off the seventh with a long fly ball to right field, but Matt Lawton took an awkward route to the ball and made the catch at the wall. After Jeff Cirillo drew a walk, the rookie Hardy hit what could have been his first career home run had Pirates left fielder Craig Wilson not made a leaping grab. "I guess I didn't get it," Hardy said. Redman threw 78 pitches, 52 of them strikes, in six innings. He surrendered two runs on five hits and did not walk a batter while notching five strikeouts. Rob Mackowiak matched a career high with four hits, catcher David Ross went 3-for-4 with an RBI double in the second inning and a solo home run in the ninth and Jose Mesa notched his third save. The Pirates' two home runs doubled their total in the team's first six games. In his first start this season, Glover was not particularly sharp. He needed 113 pitches to slog through six innings but managed to limit the damage to three runs on eight hits and two walks while striking out six. Glover, the Brewers' No. 5 starter, had to work to strand runners in scoring position in each of the first three innings. He said the anticipation of Tuesday's start -- his first at Miller Park -- added to his struggles. "There was all this time, and I tried to keep myself occupied without thinking about the game," Glover said. "I think I got a little too jacked up for it. I was real jumpy in the first inning." He worked in and out of trouble in the first three innings, then retired eight straight through the fifth. Mackowiak led off the sixth inning with a single and Ward followed two batters later with a two-run homer that hit halfway up the right-field foul pole. Glover wanted to throw a slider belt-high and in. The ball dropped too low, right into Ward's wheelhouse. "He reminds me a little bit of guys like Randall Simon and Dmitri Young," Glover said. "You might try to throw a ball off the backstop and they'll hit it somewhere." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.121.215.44
文章代碼(AID): #12NecSP8 (Brewers)