Notes: De La Rosa an early surprise

看板Brewers作者 (叫我海洋壹哥!@#$%^&*())時間19年前 (2005/04/12 19:12), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串1/1
Jenkins not concerned about slow start MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers knew their young left-hander had Major League stuff. They also knew he did not have a mindset to match. Spring Training offered evidence. One day, Jorge De La Rosa would dominate a lineup like the San Francisco Giants. A few days later, he would be shaking off catchers' signs, fidgeting his way all over the mound, walking too many batters and getting knocked around. "Right at the end of Spring Training we told Jorge, 'There's no shaking anymore.'" Brewers manager Ned Yost said. "'You're still a young man, you're still learning your craft and we've got two very experienced catchers on this team, and you will throw exactly what they put down.'" One of those experienced catchers is Damian Miller. "I said, 'Just go with me. Get on the bump, look at what [sign] I put down, and throw,'" Miller said. "The last two or three times out he's been doing that." So far, so good. De La Rosa has been the Brewers' biggest early season surprise after three scoreless appearances, including a two-inning stint in Sunday's extra-inning loss in which he surrendered a hit and one walk but struck out five. Working with a fastball that topped out at 97 mph on the Wrigley Field radar gun and a darting change-up at 75 mph, De La Rosa dominated Cubs hitters, including Jeromy Burnitz, who leaned back on a change-up only to watch it dive through the strike zone. "It's a different ballgame here than in Spring Training," De La Rosa said via fellow pitcher Victor Santos, who served as a translator for the Mexican import. "I am a little more focused, and it is giving me more confidence." De La Rosa said there would still be instances where he would shake off a catcher's call. Still, he has mostly bought into the "don't think, just throw" mentality. "I feel comfortable following them because they've been in this league a long time and they know all the hitters," De La Rosa said. De La Rosa feels his fastball is his best pitch. But the one that has been dropping jaws is that change-up. He can make it cut away from left-handed or right-handed hitters by using the same grip with a different release point. Eventually, the Brewers may decide to move De La Rosa back to the starting rotation. But Yost has a feeling that he could develop into a dominant left-handed reliever, something Milwaukee went without through all of 2004. "From Spring Training to what we've seen in the start of the season has been a 180-degree turn," Yost said. "He's on the attack. He's banging strikes. ... He's going to have his rough spots, but he's been a real pleasant surprise for us so far." Reason for panic? Geoff Jenkins laughed off the suggestion that Yost should shake-up the lineup to jump-start the struggling right-fielder. "Trust me," Jenkins said. "I'll be fine." In his first five games, Jenkins batted .174 (4-for-23) with just one extra-base hit and one RBI. He singled and scored in Sunday's game, but went hitless the rest of the way, a day after striking out four times in Saturday's loss. Jenkins looked at video of his at-bats and noticed a problem with his weight shift. "I made a little adjustment and took it into batting practice today, and I'm liking what I feel," Jenkins said. Yost also blew off any suggestion of altering the 3-4-5 spots in his lineup. Lyle Overbay went into Monday's Miller Park opener hitting .286 in the three-hole in front of Lee, who was hitting .273 from the clean-up spot. It's too early to panic about Jenkins, according to Yost. "It's way too early," Yost said. "We give guys a month, six weeks. This is one of our main guys in the middle of our lineup. You don't panic after a week. You've been in the game as long as I have, [you know that] guys go through ups and downs. You have to ride it out because if you start messing around now, it's going to last a lot longer." Successful move: De La Rosa said he has quickly adjusted to his new home in the bullpen. The same is not exactly true for excitable right-hander Wes Obermueller. "It's not as easy as you thought it was, is it?" demanded veteran Ricky Bottalico, with a dose of mock anger. "It's not," said Obermueller, who pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings in his season debut over the weekend. "I was out there at Wrigley Field the other day thinking, 'I want in this game. I want in this game. I want in this game.' I felt like I wanted to run through a brick wall." Miller has been a calming influence, Obermueller said. "He's a real good reader of emotions," Obermueller said. "He'll come out there to calm me down, and everything is real positive. Every pitcher has a different personality. Like Vic [Santos], he's a real laid-back guy. I'm a guy who's more high-strung. He knows how to adjust to our different personalities." -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 140.121.215.44
文章代碼(AID): #12Mwqx_V (Brewers)