Mailbag: Why is Pettitte no longer here?

看板Astros作者 (I Hate Hydrology !!!!!!)時間17年前 (2006/12/12 16:33), 編輯推噓5(502)
留言7則, 5人參與, 最新討論串1/1
12/11/2006 10:00 AM ET Mailbag: Why is Pettitte no longer here? Beat writer Alyson Footer answers Astros fans' questions By Alyson Footer / MLB.com From / http://myurl.com.tw/o4rj Why didn't the Astros pay the extra $2 million to keep Andy Pettitte? That is cheap for starting pitching this year. -- Shawn L., Greenwich, N.Y. 問︰為何太空人就不多付$2M以留下 Pettitte?對今年的先發投手 來說,這價碼算便宜的了。 Before we analyze the Pettitte situation, let's all get one thing straight. The Astros did not lose Andy over a measly $2 million. You can be angry at him for taking the Yankees' offer or you can be angry at the Astros for not upping the ante, but the notion that this was decided over $2 million is completely untrue, even though that's what his agents would like you to believe. 答︰在我們剖析 Pettitte的情況之前,我們把話攤開,直話直說。太空人 不是因為價錢差了$2M而簽不到Andy。你可以因他與洋基簽約而不爽, 或者你也可以因為太空人偏不加碼而憤怒,雖然他的經紀人說得信誓 旦旦,但所謂差$2M的講法根本在胡扯。 The Astros offered $12 million for one year and did not budge from that offer. The Yankees' initial offer was $15 million. The final counteroffer from Pettitte's camp included a player option for 2008. The Yankees agreed to pay Pettitte $16 million in '07 with a player option worth the same for 2008. Pettitte's agents came back to the Astros and offered the same deal, for a little less -- $14 million in '07, with a player option for $14 million in '08. 當時太空人開出一年12M的價碼,對合約絲毫不讓步。而洋基本來是 開出15M的合約。從 Pettitte那方開出的要求是包含2008 年球員的選擇權。洋基願意給予 Pettitte 2007年 16M的薪資及同 樣在2008年球員的選擇權。 Pettitte的經紀人轉而去跟太空人要 求同樣的合約,不過價碼較少,07年14M,與08年球員有14M的選擇 權。 The Astros absolutely were not going to agree to the player option. That leaves them completely powerless a year from now, and even though Pettitte said he would not pick up the option if he was hurt and unable to play, that presents a gray area that would require hours of discussion, to define exactly what "hurt" means. That could be interpreted a dozen different ways. 太空人當然不願答應球員選擇權。這會使太空人從現在開始,一年 內無任何權力。縱然 Pettitte表示如果身體受傷,不能投球,絕 對不會執行這項選擇權,關於明確定義何種程度叫做"受傷",之間 有塊可不斷討論的灰色地帶。那定義就有無數種闡釋。 The Astros did not want to make a $28 million commitment to someone with a history of elbow problems. The Yankees' package is worth $32 million. The Astros offered $12. That's a difference of $20 million. It's that simple. 太空人不想開$28M給一個有手肘傷病史的球員。洋基隊開出的價碼 值$32M。而太空人只願給12M。20M的差距可說南轅北轍。就這麼簡單。 If Pettitte was looking for a one-year deal, I would think the Astros would have increased their offer. I'm sure they could have gone to $14 million, maybe $15 million. But the player option was the deal-breaker, and I suspect Pettitte's camp knew the Astros would never agree to it, anyway. Let me also say that I believe the Astros' interest in Pettitte was a little less than they publicly indicated. That needs to be said -- this thing is a two-way street. 如果今天 Pettitte只要簽一年的合約,我覺得太空人願意加碼。我相信 這價碼會到14M,或許還到15M。然而球員選擇權是合約破局的元兇,而且 我懷疑 Pettitte那方的陣營早就知道太空人無論如何不會答應這個要求的。 我也覺的太空人檯面下對跟 Pettitte續約的興趣比對外表現的還來的小些。 也就是說,這件事根本像是條行進路徑相反的道路。 After going over everything that transpired in the past week, here's what I think: I believe Pettitte wanted to sign with the Yankees all along. Too many things happened that just are a little too coincidental to actually be coincidences. 透露完過去一週的實情後,以下是我的看法︰我認為 Pettitte從頭到尾 都屬意洋基。太多偶然的情況發生後就真的成為巧合。 First, let's review the SI.com report that appeared on Tuesday, suggesting that the Yankees were close to signing Pettitte and that a deal could be done by the end of the week. Now, there is no doubt that all sorts of garbage flies around at the Winter Meetings. Hundreds of rumors are floated out there, many of which have very little credibility. The SI.com report was different. It was written by Tom Verducci, one of the most respected baseball writers in the country, not to mention one of the most accomplished, giving him no reason at all to throw something out there just to get his name in the mix. 現在我們先來復習 SI.com的記者在上週二發布的報導,其中表示洋基簽回 Pettitte即將大勢抵定,合約在該週末會達成。在冬季會議時,無疑有許多垃圾 檔案的產生。數以百計的謠言每天不斷流傳,許多傳聞可信度幾乎微乎其微。 然而 SI.com的報導就不同了。這篇文章還是被國內最受人尊敬的 Tom Verducci 所寫,更別說是生米煮成熟飯的,他不可能無緣無故亂丟消息,只為了出現 自己的名字。 As I was listening to Pettitte's agents say that there was no truth to that report, in the back of my mind I kept thinking, there's no way Verducci made this up. Sure, baseball execs float misinformation through the media all the time, but Tom's too savvy to buy into something that didn't have a strong, strong chance to be true. 當我聽 Pettitte的經紀人說該報導的傳聞胡說八道時,我心中不免想, Verducci不可能捏造新聞。沒錯,棒球相關人士會在媒體面前傳達錯誤 訊息,但是像 Tom這麼英明的人,不會談子虛烏有的事。 So, that didn't sit well with me. When I heard the news Friday, I thought, OK, Pettitte just signed with the Yankees and it just happens to be the end of the week. Just like Verducci wrote. Hmm. 所以,我認為 Pettitte經紀人說法並不可靠。當星期五我聽到他們簽約 的消息時,我就想,是啊,Pettitte真的在本週結束時跟老東家簽約了。 嗯...就像 Verducci所寫的一樣。 I never in a million years thought Andy would go back to the Yankees. I adamantly stated that whenever asked. I truly believed it would not matter how much the Yankees outbid the Astros, that he would stay in Houston. I was dead wrong. 我絕對想不到 Andy會鳳還巢。無論過去人家怎麼問,我堅決相信。我真 的相信不管洋基拿多少錢要壓太空人, Andy都會留在休士頓太空人。我 徹底地錯了。 That said, I sensed a lot of frustration on Pettitte's part (and every other starting pitcher, for that matter) with the struggles of the Astros' offense the past two years. One particular game stands out in my mind: The Astros played an 18-inning game on Aug. 15 against the Cubs that lasted until close to midnight, then had a day game the next day. Andy pitched a complete game, the Astros didn't score and they lost, 1-0. 然而,我有感受到兩年來 Pettitte先發時,便秘打線帶給的挫敗感 (以及其他的SP)。我心裡印象最深刻的一場球就是,今年8/15太空人 對上小熊那場打了18局,已到半夜的比賽。太空人隔天還有一場日間 比賽。那場 Andy完投,可是打線連一分都擠不出來,最後以1-0輸球。 As Pettitte stood at his locker and said all the right things to reporters, I could tell he was furious. And I thought, he does not belong here. He needs to be on a better team. Good teams overcome the fatigue of having to play a day game after an 18-inning game. They find ways to win. This was simply not a good team. 當 Pettitte站在衣物櫃前接受記者採訪,我可以告訴你他情緒有多 不滿。因此我想,其實他並不屬於這裡。他需要到一個打線較凶狠 的球隊。打線兇猛的隊伍可以應付在打完18局球賽後,隔天日間又要 出賽的疲累。他們會想辦法贏球。好的球隊還沒辦法。 Now, the offense is going to be better next year with Carlos Lee. Woody Williams will be a great addition to the rotation. If Andy envisioned himself on that team and slotted in Clemens for a June return, he had to know the Astros would likely be playoff bound. 現在在 Carlos Lee的加盟下,明年打線水準必然有所提升。Williams 是先發投手不錯的補強。如果 Andy願意留在這支球隊,而且老克明年 六月又回鍋的話,他需要知道,太空人能打入季後賽。 That's not what this is about. He wanted to go back to the Yankees. While I am shocked, I do not fault him. I absolutely believe he was sincere three years ago when he said he came home for family reasons. I don't think his family is any less important to him now. But his heart is with the Yankees, and I wish him well. I don't believe it was only the money factor that drove him. Yes, the Yankees were essentially offering $20 million more and that certainly was a factor. But also, he just wants New York. 和這些都沒關係。 Andy想要回到洋基。我很訝異,不過我不會歸咎他。 三年前他說返鄉效力是為了家人因素時,我完全信任他是真心誠意的。 我想在他心中家人地位仍舉足輕重。可是他屬意洋基,我祝福他在那裡 能過得好。我相信絕不是因為錢的緣故。 沒錯,洋基本來就提出比太空人多 $20的金額,著實為一大誘因。 不過他也有意回洋基隊。 And before you ask, no, players do not know how dumb they sound when they say they're insulted by someone offering them "only" $12 million. They also don't know how dumb their family members sound when they say things like "it was just another slap in the face by the Astros" and all of the other garbage that you, the fans -- the ones who have rent and mortgages and car payments and kids in college and bills and credit card debt, and actually have to budget for these life necessities -- have to read about and listen to. 在提問前,並不是錢的緣故,球員們並不清楚當他們講到"只"被球團提 出$12M的合約被汙辱,說法聽來有多蠢。他們也不知道家人說這件事 "就像被太空人摑了一巴掌",聽來有多白痴。 而其他所謂的垃圾,像你們這些球迷,大家平常也要支付房租、抵押借款、 汽車貸款、孩子上大學、帳單、卡債,事實上都要開出生活預算。一定會從中 聽到與察覺一些事。 Pettitte did not come off well with some off his comments when he addressed the media Saturday morning, and judging by the public's reaction, he's paying the price. And while his image is somewhat tarnished, to me, he'll always been one of the most professional and genuine players I've ever dealt with. He brought class, dedication and a winning attitude to this team and he was part of some of the brightest moments this franchise has ever had. Let's not forget that. Pettitte在週六早晨的記者會,因為一些個人批評,從大眾反應來看,並不是很 成功,他因而付出代價。雖然他給人印象下滑,對我來說,他絕對是我面對過最 專業與精明的球員。他把精湛實力、個人心力、渴望贏球的態度帶給這支球隊,他的 加盟也是隊史上最閃耀的一刻,我們絕不能遺忘! With Pettitte gone, do you think the Astros still have a chance to sign Roger Clemens next year? 問︰既然 Pettitte離開太空人,鳳還巢洋基,你覺得太空人 明年還可能簽下 Clemens嗎? This inquiry wasn't actually sent to me, but I figure it's the next logical question, so let's address it now. The Astros have a chance to sign Clemens, yes. He enjoys his deal here, he can come and go as he pleases, he likes being home, and on and on and on. 答︰其實這個疑問並沒有人問過我,不過我認為這是接下來要 面臨的問題,所以我們現在來談談。當然,太空人還是可能把 Clemens簽下來。他在太空人享受合約提供的自由,他能隨興來 去,他喜歡流連在家中,成天賴在那。 But right now, my money's on him going to the Yankees. The temptation of riding in on a white horse and rejoining his buddy Pettitte on the very team they played for the last time the Yankees won the World Series ... oh, boy, what a story that would be. Clemens loves the spotlight, and this would be right up his alley. No, the Yankees won't give him the "freedom clause," but if he pitches only a half season, I can't imagine he would have a problem maintaining the same schedule as his teammates for a mere four months, tops. 不過現在我認為他會到洋基去。騎著白馬,再追隨好友 Pettitte加入 當初一同贏得洋基最近一次世界大賽的誘惑...哇,真是個美好的故事。 Clemens喜歡媒體的追逐,而且就在他家巷弄附近流連。 不不不,洋基不會許他自由條款的,但當他只投半季,首先我就想像 不出他依照同樣的計畫,僅和隊友相處四個月會有何問題浮現。 A lot of people think he's going to the Red Sox, and the notion of Clemens and Pettitte pitching against each other in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series is also intriguing. If Clemens stayed with the Astros, he and Pettitte could face each other in the World Series. The possibilities are endless. But I'm betting on the Yankees at this point. 很多人認為 Clemens會到紅襪隊,想到 Clemens跟 Pettitte在 美聯冠軍第七戰捉對廝殺的情況也真誘人。如果 Clemens留在 太空人的話,他會跟 Pettitte在世界大賽對抗的。任何可能性 無邊無際。不過,在這節骨眼上,我打賭洋基是他的選擇。 Do you think that Carlos Lee is getting overpaid? I think that Albert Pujols signed a seven-year, $100 million deal a few years ago and Lee signs a six-year deal for the same amount. Hopefully he will help the offense and prove that he is worth the money. -- Chase H., Yoakum, Texas 問︰你覺不覺得 Lee的價碼 overpaid?我想起前些年 Pujols與 紅雀簽下7年,100M的薪資,而現在 Lee可是簽了六年,100M的數字。 希望他真能提升我們的攻擊水準,也用實力證明他值回票價。 Of course Lee is overpaid. There is no question about that. But had the Astros waited even one more week to sign him, I would imagine the asking price would have been even higher. Once Alfonso Soriano signed with the Cubs for $136 million over eight years, he set a new market. Getting Lee for two fewer years and "only" $100 million was a relative bargain. I know. It's sick. But it's the (baseball) world we live in. 答︰想當然爾 Lee是 overpaid。這毋庸置疑。但是如果太空人當 初再慢一週簽他的話,我看喊價只有更高。當 Soriano與金熊簽下 8年136M的合約後,他就開啟一全新自由市場。太空人用少於兩年並 "只"用100M簽下 Lee,其實是差不多的買賣。這體系很混亂。不過 那卻是我們所處的棒球呀。 I have read speculation that Lee will begin to slow down very soon due to his age and out of shape body. Do you think this is a valid point or will he be a durable veteran that produces well into his late 30s or even early 40s? -- Carlos R., Denton, Texas 問︰我看到有人預測 Lee會因為年齡以及身材擁腫的緣故而開 始急速退化。你認為這個說法有憑有據,還是說近40大關或40 出頭,他還是能吃的開? I don't know what Carlos will do in his late 30s and early 40s, and it doesn't really matter. The Astros are only concerned with what he'll do from now until age 36, when Lee's contract runs out. Will he still be effective in 2012? I have no idea. It's a risk the Astros had to take if they wanted to sign him. 答︰我不知道 Carlos近40大關或40出頭會有何表現,不過這都 無所謂。太空人著眼的是他合約到期,36歲之前,對球隊的貢獻。 至於他在2012年時,表現還能如當初預期嗎?我不知道。這是太 空人要跟他簽約就需承擔的風險。 And by the way, I do not think Lee is terribly out of shape. I sense this speculation about his size has been overblown. He's always been a big guy. The team doctors aren't concerned and I'm not either, although it probably wouldn't hurt to lay off the eggnog this month. 此外,我認為 Lee的身材並未嚴重走樣。我覺得那個關於他身材的 推估實在言過其實。 Lee一直是個虎背熊腰的傢伙。我們隊醫並不 擔憂,我也不在意,不過叫他這個月禁喝高熱量的蛋酒應該無傷大雅。 Maybe I am under the illusion that someday Carlos Hernandez will one day regain his arm strength and help the ballclub. Can you provide a status update as to how he is doing? -- Paul, Houston 問︰或許我誤以為 Carlos Hernandez有一天臂力會回復到最佳 狀態,並好好為球隊貢獻。你可以提供我們一些關於他狀況的最 新動向嗎? He's doing OK in winter ball -- 2-3 with a 3.35 ERA over 10 games, the last I checked -- but the Astros have decided to cut ties with their former budding star. The Triple-A rotation is expected to be fully stocked, and they really won't have a place for him. They've informed Hernandez's agents that they won't be interested in signing him this year. 答︰我查了一下 Hernandez近期的表現,他在冬季聯盟表現還不賴 ,出賽十場 2勝3敗,自責分率 3.35,不過太空人隊已決定要放棄 他們前新星。目前3A的投手輪值預計是爆滿的,沒有空間能容得下 他。球團已知會 Hernandez的經紀人,今年球季不會與他簽約。 I saw Chris Sampson come in, and he had an awesome performance, yet they keep sending him down and bringing Wandy Rodriguez and Taylor Buchholz back up. Sampson, in my opinion, did a better job than Jason Hirsh, but we still only saw a glimpse of him. What are the chances that we could see him next year? -- Crystal L., Texas City, Texas 問︰今年我看見 Sampson被升上來支援戰力,他的表現也可 圈可點,沒想到球團旋即降他回小聯盟,把 Wandy與 Buchholz 又升回來。我個人認為 Sampson的投球表現比 Hirsh還要優異 ,但我們才一瞥他的表現,他就送回小聯盟。明年球季我們能 見到他在太空人隊嗎? I'd say Sampson has a terrific chance to make the team out of Spring Training next year. He's a good candidate to fill the long reliever/spot starter bullpen role, but I'm sure he'll also compete with a handful of others for the fifth starter spot. He left a tremendous impression on the club last year, and I would venture to guess he'll be back. 答︰我只能說明年春訓時,Sampson有極大的契機成為太空人 一員。他是牛棚擔任長中繼與支援先發的合適人選,我想他 也會和其他人共同競爭第五號先發。上個球季他讓球團驚艷 不已,我大膽推測他會重升太空人的。 What are the Astros going to do with Jason Lane? I watched him play in Round Rock and have always thought highly of him. -- Sam R., Austin 問︰未來太空人會如何處置 Jason Lane?我看過他在 Round Rock打球的情形,對他的實力有高度評價。 They're apparently going to give him a look in center field, but he'll also have a chance to prove himself as a right fielder, too. A platoon situation between Lane and Luke Scott is also an option. 答︰太空人顯然要讓他守中外野看看,不過他還是有機會在 右外野證明自己的能賴。給 Lane和 Scott打 platoon也是另 一個作法。 ======================== 沒有翻好或須改進部份 我再修 -- ~ 你對世界如何發問,世界就如何回答你 ~ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.172.210.92

12/12 18:09, , 1F
Came to me是不是單純指說 沒人問 不過下一個合理的問題
12/12 18:09, 1F

12/12 18:10, , 2F
就是Clemens的問題 所以現在一起提出來回答?
12/12 18:10, 2F
謝謝指正...

12/12 18:10, , 3F
整篇文章的大意就是 "有錢真好"
12/12 18:10, 3F

12/12 18:10, , 4F
另外看起來Alyson Footer有點怒了XD
12/12 18:10, 4F
※ 編輯: mysunny 來自: 218.172.210.92 (12/12 18:32)

12/12 20:31, , 5F
球迷也很怒啊 ○(#‵︿′ㄨ)○
12/12 20:31, 5F

12/12 20:36, , 6F
球迷也很火啊 ○(#‵︿′ㄨ)○
12/12 20:36, 6F
※ 編輯: mysunny 來自: 218.172.217.227 (12/12 23:39)

12/13 14:35, , 7F
也很怒啊 ○(#‵︿′ㄨ)○
12/13 14:35, 7F
文章代碼(AID): #15Vca_03 (Astros)