Mailbag: No respect for Oswalt

看板Astros作者 (I Hate Hydrology !!!!!!)時間17年前 (2006/11/21 18:30), 編輯推噓10(1001)
留言11則, 10人參與, 4年前最新討論串1/1
11/20/2006 6:53 PM ET Mailbag: No respect for Oswalt Astros beat writer Alyson Footer answers fans' questions By Alyson Footer / MLB.com 英文出處 http://myurl.com.tw/dlma What does Roy Oswalt have to do to win the Cy Young Award? There is no way that he should have finished fourth. To be honest, the guys that beat him out are not, and did not pitch, better than him. I think that most players in the league fear Oswalt more than the other guys that finished ahead of him. -- Kenneth C., Lake Charles, La. 問︰Oswalt要怎麼表現才能贏得賽揚獎呢?他不該只獲得第四名。 老實說啦,獎項票選中,贏他的球員,沒人投的比他好。我認為聯盟大部分 的打者,相對於在票選擊敗 Oswalt的投手,反而較害怕面對 Oswalt呢。 I agree. I don't necessarily have a problem with Brandon Webb winning it, because he, too, had a phenomenal year. What I do have a problem with is Trevor Hoffman and Chris Carpenter finishing ahead of Roy. Hoffman had 46 saves in 51 opportunites, which is a terrific ratio. But for someone who threw only 63 innings all year, is it really fair to compare him to starters, who are expected to carry a 200-plus-inning workload? 答︰我同意你的看法。但是我對於 Brandon Webb贏的這項殊榮 毫無疑問,因為他也投出相當亮眼的一年。我存疑的是 Hoffman 和 Carpenter名次居然在 Roy之前。今年 Hoffman在51次的機會 獲得46次救援成功,成功的比率很嚇人。但是用一個整季只投63 局的後援投手去跟一年要負擔二百多局的先發投手比較,公平嗎? The other problem I have is the fact that Oswalt's down-the-stretch performance seemingly didn't count for anything. He was 5-0 in September with an ERA below 2.00 and nearly pitched the Astros into the postseason. Carpenter allowed six runs in each of his last two starts and contributed to what was almost the biggest end-of-season collapse in baseball history. 我另一個問題是 Oswalt球季後半段的表現似乎沒被考慮到。他在 九月締造5勝0敗、自責分在2以下的成績,好投也差點要把太空人 帶進季後賽。 Carpenter在例行賽最後兩次先發單場均狂失六分, 而且幾乎說是棒球史中季末最大的爆炸。 Carpenter is a great pitcher, as are Webb and Hoffman. But Oswalt should not have finished lower than second. He ended the season with the lowest ERA in the league, and the only one that was below 3.00. That should count for something. Carpenter是實力頂尖的投手, Webb 和 Hoffman也同樣水準一流。 但是 Oswalt的名次不應該低於第二吧。他的自責分率為國聯最低 ,而且是惟一一個低於3的。那樣表現應該要受到重視。 Do you think that Brad Lidge will be dealt? If so, to whom? -- Tom F., Houston 問︰你覺得 Lidge會被交易出去嗎?如果真的拿他交易,你認為 會換誰過來? If the Astros still view Lidge as a closer, then no, I don't believe he'll be traded. But if they think he can only be a seventh- or eighth-inning pitcher, then I would imagine they would look to move him, because of money. Lidge is due for a raise from his $4 million salary in '06, and budget-conscious clubs such as the Astros cannot afford to allot that kind of money to a middle reliever. 答︰如果太空人還認為 Lidge是隊上的王牌救援,那我 相信他不會被交易掉。但假使太空人只把 Lidge定位為 七八局上場的中繼投手,就我認定,因為向錢看的關係 ,他們大概會送走他。 Lidge目前打算提高原本在06年為$4M的薪資,然而像太 空人這種精打細算的球團,是不可能多花錢在中繼投手 身上的。 If Lidge is dealt, the Astros are going to expect a lot in return. They'll expect to receive a top-line player, and even though Lidge had a tough year last year, plenty of teams still think very highly of what he brings to the mound. 假使 Lidge被太空人交易,球團期許一定能換好貨 過來。雖然 Lidge上個球季投的不甚理想,但許多球隊對 Lidge在投手丘的表現仍有高度評價,所以太空人球團 還是預期可從交易中換得一線球員。 But I'm guessing the Astros would first like to pair Lidge with new pitching coach Dave Wallace and see if they can come up with something that gets Lidge back on track, as a closer. 不過我想太空人球團會先讓新任投手教練 Dave Wallace 好好指導 Lidge一番,看能不能讓他的狀況回復到過去威風 八面的王牌守護神。 If the 'Stros bats start slow again, will Phil Garner get the boot? Not to say it is his fault. -- Tyler K., Katy, Texas 問︰先別說是不是 Garner的問題,如果明年打線又再次 慢熱,球團會不會要 Garner鋪捲蓋走人? If the Astros improve the team this winter as they are expected to, and then they flop in the first half, I would imagine Garner's job status will be on the line. After all, they gave Jimy Williams the heave-ho in 2004, when the team tanked it in the first half despite having added Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte while employing an All-Star lineup that consisted of Jeff Bagwell, Jeff Kent, Lance Berkman, etc. 答︰若太空人今年冬天如當初預計把球隊補強好,然而上半季 戰績卻吃癟的話,我想 Garner的工作就岌岌可危囉。畢竟像 2004年上半季縱使戰力在投手方面已新增 Clemens與 Pettitte、 打線為全星星等級的 Bagwell、Kent、Berkman,而戰績卻無 起色,故 Williams就被球團解雇了。 But Garner just signed a contract extension through 2008, and as we all know, Drayton McLane does not like to pay people not to work. So I would imagine the season would have to have the makings of a disaster before they'll make a managerial move. 可是 Garner的合約簽到2008年,而且眾所皆知,老闆 McLane 不可能當凱子白白付帳,所以我猜要徹底失敗,球團才會做管理 層級的變動。 Call me crazy, but in a game like baseball, you search for anything to explain things. I've noticed a pattern with Morgan Ensberg. In 2003, he had a solid year, then in 2004, he slipped a little. In 2005, he had a monster year, then in 2006, not so much. Couldn't it be expected that 2007 will be a good year? Like I said, it's crazy, but you grab at anything. -- Colby P., Houston 問︰你可能覺得我瘋了,但是像棒球比賽,你就是要找理由來解 答一些事物。而我注意到了 Ensberg的模式。在2003年,他表現 的很好,然而到2004年的時候,水準有點下滑。繼續到2005年, 他打出成果豐碩的一年,然後到06年就不怎樣。照這麼說來,能 否用此推測他07年會有好表現?就像我說的,太瘋狂了,但是你 可以從中獲得一些訊息。 I've heard that theory before, and many have wondered if there's anything to the fact that he does well every other year. There is something to that -- it's called inconsistency. Being consistent is one of the most important elements in baseball. You can have all the talent in the world, but it means nothing if you can't stay a step ahead of the scouts who are sitting behind home plate analyzing your every weakness and taking that information back to opposing clubs who will soon exploit those weaknesses. 答︰我過去曾聽過這種論點,而且很多人都想知道他每個下一年 是否打的好。在這邊有個重點--不能持之以恆。打棒球最重要的 元素就是要能維持好表現。 你可以天賦異稟,但你如果不能在本壘板後方那分析你弱點,將 你資訊提供給敵方球團的球探前保持最佳狀態,敵隊很快就會有 策略針對你的弱點攻擊,你的天才也就一文不值。 I take no comfort in the idea that 2007 is, based on history, likely to be an "on" year for Ensberg. I'd feel much better if someone were to tell me his shoulder is 100-percent healed and that if he sees a fastball coming right down the middle of the plate when the count is 2-2, that he'll be swinging. That would be delightful. 從過往經驗推測 Ensberg可能會爆發的一年,此種說法我不 能安心。除非有人告訴我他肩傷已百分百復原,而且當球數2-2 時,面對一記正中好球,他能逮住機會將球打出去,我感覺才會好些。 那樣才會心情愉快。 What happened to Hunter Pence? Will he be dismissed or just suspended for a period of time? It's a shame that such talent would do something so stupid. -- Kate S., Houston 問︰Hunter Pence到底出了什麼事?他會遭到球隊解雇或只是禁 賽一段期間呢?這種聰穎的球員做蠢事實在很丟臉。 Stupid doesn't begin to describe someone who is moronic enough to drive while under the influence of alcohol, and Pence paid the price dearly when he was a) arrested and b) kicked out of the Arizona Fall League by the Astros. Pence has met with club officials as well as professionals involved with the employee assistance program. The Astros wish to not disclose the disciplinary actions they're taking with Pence. I do not think it will thwart him from starting the season on time next year, and I would assume he'll be headed for Triple-A Round Rock upon the conclusion of Spring Training. 答︰笨蛋也不會開始描述有人腦殘到酒醉駕車的事情,而 Pence由 於 a)被逮捕 b)遭太空人退出AFL 而付出慘痛代價。 Pence已和球 團官方及 EAP的專家面談。太空人球團希望不要向外界透露對 Pence 作出的懲戒。 我想這不會影響他明年球季出發,而且我認為明年春訓後,他會從 3A的 Round Rock隊打起。 Have you heard an update on Chris Burke since his surgery? -- Vicki D., Kingwood, Texas 問︰你知道 Chris Burke手術後的最新情形嗎? He is doing very well. He was scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham on Monday, and Burke is 100-percent confident he'll receive favorable feedback. 答︰他的術後狀況良好。他預計星期一前往伯明罕與 James Andrews 會面,而且 Burke有信心醫生會給予好評。 The first week after the surgery was rough, but after two weeks Burke began to regain his flexibility and range of motion. He also was able to put his socks on by himself without his wife having to help him, which as you can imagine was a thrilling moment for both Mr. and Mrs. Burke. 術後第一週身體相當難受,可是過了兩週, Burke身體的彈性已開始 恢復也能作一些動作。還能自己穿上襪子,毋需老婆的一旁協助,你 可以想像 Burke夫婦當初穿襪子時的緊張。 Chris is now able to do things that we take for granted but are hard to do when your shoulder is continually in danger of falling out of its socket. Just putting his left hand behind his head was a challenge for him before the surgery, but with his newfound shoulder stability, he's pretty much going to be back to normal. Chris目前可以作一般人視為理所當然的事情,不過當你肩膀有從腋窩 掉下的危險時,行動一定倍感艱辛。動這個手術前,他的左手要抬到 腦後很困難,然而在他重建肩膀穩定度後,他的活動能力能夠回復正常。 With this type of surgery, four months is usually a reasonable recovery period, after which he should not be prevented from doing anything baseball related. His four-month mark will arrive Feb. 5, so there's no reason to believe he'll have any issues when he reports to Spring Training toward the end of February. 進行這類手術後,一般四個月為合理的復原期,這期間要避免碰任何 棒球有關的運動。他這四個月的休息期要等到明年二月五日才能解禁。 所以二月底他去春訓基地報到時,他身體沒有任何問題。 The Astros have a bad habit of doing things very, very, very slowly. Are they going to wake up this offseason and make some legitimate moves rather than have the market dry up and end up taking leftover players like last year (Preston Wilson ... sigh.) -- Ogechi N., Missouri City 問︰太空人有個做事龜速的壞習慣。今年 offseason他們有 否覺醒,要積極作些合理的球員補強,而非等到市場的好物已空 ,像上回一樣,只好去簽別人挑剩的球員。(Preston Wilson...sign.) I realize the Astros' offseason began Oct. 2, but really, the Hot Stove season just got started. Be patient. Deals are usually not made overnight. 答︰我知道太空人的 offseason是從10/02展開,但是熱爐季卻從現 在才展開序幕。請保持耐心,交易不是一夜就能完成。 It is unfair to compare this year with any of the last two. Last year, the Astros had almost $60 million tied up in four or five players and no extra money to spend. The year before, they foolishly waited around for Carlos Beltran to bolt. This time, it's different. They have holes to fill and money to spend. If they're still sitting on their hands Jan. 1, then you've got a gripe. But not in mid-November. 拿今年跟過去兩年的情況做比較不甚公平。去年太空人球團就被4~5名 綁了約$60M的薪資,而且也沒有太多金額做運用。而去年之前,他們 癡癡的等待 Beltran續約。 今年就不同了。太空人隊有缺陷等待補強,手邊也有錢要來簽球員。 如果到明年元月他們仍無所動的話,那麼你再抱怨也不遲。十一月 中旬抱怨還不是時候。 I am counting on the Astros signing Carlos Lee and am now intrigued that they are showing interest in Gary Matthews. Do you believe that Pettitte and Clemens will be influenced by these type of signings if they happen? -- Jim B., Houston 問︰我相信太空人會簽下 Carlos Lee,而現在對於球團想簽 Gary Matthews的舉動感到好奇。如果這個簽約動作成真了, 你想會不會影響 Pettitte 和 Clemens續留的意願? I am sure those two are monitoring what the Astros are doing. They never would publicly blast the offense for its lack of run support, but it's not a stretch to assume they were bothered by it. I'm assuming that the Astros will improve the team to Roger and Andy's liking, and perhaps there will even be money left over to sign these two when and if they decide to grace the Astros rotation with their presence. 答︰我確信 Pettitte 和 Clemens一定隨時在注意太空人的行動。 他倆從未公開抨擊出賽時缺乏隊友的火力支援,但是我們也不能誤以為哥 兒倆對便秘打線不爽。 我覺得太空人一定會如同 Roger和 Andy心中所要的,增進球隊 實力,一旦他們決定續約,讓先發輪值星光閃閃,也許還 有剩下的金額把 Lee和 Matthews均簽下。 Wouldn't it be great for the Astros if Roger and Andy both decided early to sign on again instead of all the suspense and waiting until the last minute? At least then Drayton and Tim [Purpura, GM] could get into the free-agency sweepstakes a little more comfortable and relaxed and perhaps pull off a great deal for some additions to the club. I feel that is positively 'the best' way both Roger and Andy could help their hometown team. Everyone wants a championship team, and that would certainly help the team get there. -- Mike, Humble, Texas 問︰如果 Roger 和 Andy兩人都早決定和太空人續約,而非 懸而未決,等到最後一刻決定,這樣對太空人來說,啟不是 太棒了?至少 Drayton 跟 Tim進到自由球員市場能稍有贏 面與輕鬆,而且對球團來講,說不定還能做個好交易來補強 球隊。 我覺得 Roger和 Andy一同效力家鄉球隊無疑是最棒的選擇。 每個人都想要一支冠軍的球隊,而他倆的決定必然可以讓球 隊達到目標。 Makes perfect sense, which unfortunately is why it'll never happen. 答︰完美的見解,不幸的是在於這種情形從未發生。 ================ 嗯 沒翻好的部份 我再改。 -- ~ "環保" 可以當自己吝嗇的最佳理由 ~ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.172.207.194

11/21 19:13, , 1F
第一次搶到頭香 翻譯的很棒ㄎ
11/21 19:13, 1F

11/21 21:09, , 2F
有看有推
11/21 21:09, 2F

11/21 22:27, , 3F
為啥要考慮Gary Matthews Jr.? @@...我們要的是大砲呀! XD
11/21 22:27, 3F

11/22 01:43, , 4F
其實SP的問題比較大...需要一個確實一點的二號啊..
11/22 01:43, 4F