Mailbag: Wherefor art thou Bagwell?

看板Astros作者 ( 真想搭羊皮筏子 XD)時間18年前 (2006/08/02 00:13), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串1/1
07/31/2006 3:42 PM ET Mailbag: Wherefor art thou Bagwell? Beat writer Alyson Footer answers fans' questions By Alyson Footer / MLB.com From︰http://myurl.com.tw/m5a8 Any news on Jeff Bagwell? I knew he would be ignored by the fair-weather fans and the press, but I didn't expect him to completely drop off the face of the earth. Even if he never plays another inning, there are still plenty of us who appreciated everything he did for Houston enough to want to know what's going on with him. -- Shelley P., Tomball, Texas 問︰有沒有任何關於老巴的訊息呢?我知道他會被"酒肉球迷"與媒體所 忽視,但我不希望他帶給人的印象完全消失。縱使他不在球場表現 了,還是有很多我們這些感激他這幾年來為休士頓盡心的球迷,想 要知道他的近況。 I just check the society pages of the newspaper when I want to find out what's doing with our lovable first baseman. Apparently he's been quite the jet-setter lately. Italy in the spring? Who would have thunk it? 答︰當我想要知道我們心愛的一壘手最近在幹麻,我就查看一下報紙的 上流版。很顯然他已經是富豪名流了。春天到義大利渡假?誰能想到? Fortunately for the Astros, Jeff is extending his already extended stay in San Diego so that he can be with the team while they play the Padres this week. He's also planning to be around the ballpark more as the Astros enter the stretch run of the Wild Card race. 對太空人幸運的是,Jeff 目前延長他本來在聖地牙哥就長期停留的計畫, 所以本週太空人到教士主場踢館,他就可以和隊友見面。他也計畫在太空 進入爭奪外卡最後階段時,多多到球場去。 Jeff has not indicated whether he's going to attempt another surgery, but I'm guessing that he'll decide against it. I think he's accepting the fact that his playing career is over, and he understands the prospects of another surgery being effective enough to allow him to play again are slim. Jeff 目前並未表示自己要進行下一個手術的意圖,不過我覺得他會決定 不動手術。我認為,他已經接受自己球員生涯已告終止的事實,而且進行 手術以讓他回到球場的成效微乎其微。 For the first time in four or five years, Bagwell is not in excruciating pain. This does not mean he's pain-free or he's healed, but without the wear and tear of a baseball season, he's not hurting as severely as he has in the past, and, not surprisingly, he's pretty darn happy. 最初四、五年,老巴並不因傷而感到困擾。並非他對疼痛感到麻木或者 傷癒,職棒的球季沒有疲乏與淚水的。過去他的傷沒有像現在這麼嚴重, 不出乎意料,他的態度還是非常樂觀。 He doesn't want to play for another team, and considering the Astros are going to be locked into a court battle with the insurance company long after his contract expires, there is no chance that he will play for the Astros again. 他也沒有意願到別隊打球,他不可能在太空人隊出賽了,想想看太空人 在他合約到期後,依然要上法庭和保險公司長期進行訴訟。 Jeff, his agent, Barry Axelrod, and GM Tim Purpura are planning to meet this week in San Diego to discuss Bagwell's place with the organization post-playing career. The sky is the limit in terms of what Jeff can contribute. Jeff 的經紀人 Barry Axelrod 和總管 Purpura 預計本週在聖地牙哥 會面,商討老巴於球員後生涯在太空人組織的職位。揮灑的範圍視 Jeff 能力可以貢獻的為定。 Ideally, Purpura wants to bring Jeff onto his staff in the same capacity as Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens, when Clemens finally does retire. It would be something like a special assistant to the GM type of job. The Astros currently hold a "Nolan Ryan Elite Pitchers Camp" in January, and Purpura wants nothing more than to hold a "Jeff Bagwell Elite Hitters Camp" also. 最完善的計畫,Purpura 想要讓 Jeff 發揮的長才,像 Nolan Ryan 以及 最後確實退休的老克所獲得的安排一樣。有一點像是總管身旁的特助工作。 太空人隊近來在一月都會邀請隊上的年輕好手參加 "Nolan Ryan 巨投營〞 ,而 Purpura 還要舉辦的不過是〝Jeff Bagwell 強打營〞而已。 But first things first. Jeff wants to be around more as the season winds down, and I expect that once the Astros return from their next road trip, he'll be with them. In uniform? Probably not. But he'll be in the clubhouse, and I'm betting the players will be glad to have him back. 但目前最首要的,Jeff 想要這球季放鬆身心,和家人多多相處。我希望 一旦太空人隊從他們下一個客場回家的時候,他也會跟隨歸來。是 穿著球隊的制服嗎?或許不是。不過他會在球團之中,而我敢打賭眾 球員一定樂見他回來。 As we all know, Bagwell is not a rah-rah kind of guy. As an active player, he wasn't loud, he didn't throw chairs or scream at teammates when things were not going well. He got his points across quietly and respectfully. Now that he's not playing, I think he'll act as a sounding board for players, and maybe he'll have a word of advice here and there. 眾所皆知,老巴並不是那種莽撞的傢伙。在擔任球員的時候,當狀況 不順利時,他不會大聲喧鬧,也不會亂砸椅子或吼隊友出氣。他表現 給人的感覺就是非常寂靜與值得尊重。既然他現在不在球場表現了, 我覺得他會去當球員們的回響板,也許他還會給予回應以及忠告。 Jeff is uncomfortable with others making him sound overly important in terms of his leadership. He felt uneasy about being around a lot as the team went through the rigors of this season. He's leery of being looked upon as some sort of savior who's going to ride in on his white horse and fix the Astros. 對於別人認為他最重要的特點為領導能力,Jeff 感到過敏。對於 本季和球隊歷經的一些嚴苛挑戰,他覺得不舒服。被幾分神化成騎著 白駒來整頓太空人的救世主,他感到不可置信。 However, he knows that quietly, behind closed doors, he can add something. He's arriving at the realization that he's not going to play anymore, and the idea of being a mentor is growing on him. 然而,關了門之後,他很沉靜地了解,他可以貢獻什麼心力。他也了解 自己再也不能打球的事實,而擔任心靈導師的點子越來越被他所接受 What kind of players would we get if Lance Berkman would ask for a trade? Or do we think he is an Astro for life, like Bagwell and Biggio? -- Chris G., Canastota, Texas 問︰如果肥仔要被交易,球團可以得到哪種等級的球員?或是會讓他像 老巴與老畢一樣,終身都當太空人? Berkman has no desire to even vacation outside of the Texas state lines, and seeing that he has a full no-trade clause, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. The Astros could get a bundle for him, but it'll never happen. I doubt he'll want to play as long as Bagwell and Biggio have, but I would venture to guess that when he does retire, it'll be as an Astro. 答︰甚至在假期,肥仔都不願踏出德州州界,而且他的合約有禁止交易 條款,近期他都不會到別隊去。太空人可以用他交換到好物,不過 這可能發生。我不認為他想要像老巴和老畢一樣,效力這麼久的時 間,但我大膽推測他會以太空人球員身份退休。 As I understand it, the Astros payroll is at $106 million, third highest in baseball. My question is, with over $30 million of that locked into Bagwell and Roger Clemens, when we no longer have those financial restraints, will the same amount of money be used on free agents and re-signing players or will we just shrink the payroll? -- Courtland B., Austin, Texas 問︰就我所知,太空人的薪資總額高達 106M,是全聯盟第三。我的問題 是,儘管被老巴和老克綁住超過 30M的薪資,我們也不再限制金額, 那這麼說,也會拿同樣數量的金額灑到自由球員市場,並續約球員嗎? 或者我們會想要砍薪資總額? The Astros will definitely have some money to spend this offseason, and I suspect the team will look much different on Opening Day next year. I'm assuming Clemens will retire, and Bagwell will also come off the books once his $7 million buyout is paid off. I think there is a 50-50 chance Andy Pettitte will retire, and even if he doesn't, he won't command the high dollars he did when he signed his three-year deal in 2003. 答︰太空人在球季結束必然會大有所為,我想明年開幕戰球隊定能耳目一 新。我認為老克會退休,一旦 7M的買斷付現,老巴也隨之從名單刪除。 有一半的機率,小派會退休,縱使他不會,他也不會大開口要 2003年 簽下的三年合約那樣高的數字。 That said, the payroll is going to come back down to earth in '07. I would assume they'll shoot for the high $80 millions, which is plenty to be a contender. So rather than look at is as they'll have $30 million to play with, it's best to think in terms of having $10 or $12 million. Again, that's enough money to improve the club and put a contender on the field next season. 也就是說,07年薪資總額會降回到實在的數字。我認為球團會努力將薪資 砍到80M,這種薪資的陣容,就能當聯盟翹楚了。而不是看他們會將這30M 花掉,最好是花10M或12M就好。再說一次,明年而言,這些金額足夠補強 戰力,場上的陣容也能爭冠。 Aside from the fact that Adam Everett is amazing fielding at short, why couldn't Chris Burke learn the position and take it over? After all, Burke is a second baseman and he has youth on his side. -- Will K., Des Moines, Iowa 問︰撇開 Everett 在游擊區滴不漏水的守備,為什麼不讓 Burke 學著守遊擊 並且取代他的位置呢?畢竟 Burke 是二壘手,而且他還相當年輕。 (按︰我實在不太確定 he has youth on his side 的意思。) I'm not sure the Astros are oozing with confidence that Burke could play shortstop on a daily basis. It would most definitely be a major downgrade from Everett defensively, and the question is, how much defense are they willing to sacrifice for offense? 答︰我無法肯定太空人對於 Burke 擔任先發游擊手有自信。最確定的是守備與 Everett 在時相較,會大大滑下坡,而且問題在於,願意犧牲多少守備能力 來換取攻擊火力? Burke was drafted as a shortstop, but was moved to second when the club decided he would not have the range and arm to be a first-tier shortstop in the big leagues. Could he play there and get the job done? Probably. Could his offensive contributions offset what you'd lose defensively? I'm not so sure. The Astros aren't either, obviously, or they would have made the switch by now. Burke 當初選進來時是游擊手,然而球團覺得他沒有大聯盟一流游擊手的 守備範圍與臂力,所以他被移往二壘。他能夠穩健的守游擊嗎?可能可以。 他的火力支援能夠補償守備的損失嗎?我可不確定。太空人隊也不確定, 很顯然,要不然到現在他們就會調換位置了。 I know Brad Ausmus is one of the best-liked and respected players in the game, but he often looks really grumpy! What is he like to interview? -- Cyndy B., Kingwood, Texas 問︰我知道 Ausmus 是場上讓人喜愛與敬重的球員之一,但是他常常看 起來好兇喔!他平常喜歡跟人聊什麼話題啊? He's just delightful. He uses lots of big words that I have to look up in the dictionary, which keeps me on my toes. He even volunteered to speak on behalf of Berkman's groin problems the other day. His extensive familiarity with that area of Berkman's game is actually kind of unsettling if you think about it. 答︰他是旁人的開心果。他講話都喜歡用一堆艱澀的字來表達,我要時 時在一旁待命查字典才懂。假如你去思索,他對於肥仔方面的大放 大放厥詞還真讓人感到不安。 I noticed that since the All-Star break, the Astros have been wearing their alternate road jerseys (the red one) every night on the road. Has this jersey become the official road jersey and is there any chance of the Astros bringing back their black jersey? -- Chris B., Houston 問︰我注意到自從 All-Star break 後,客場夜間出賽太空人隊就一直 穿平常作客都會輪替的那件紅色球衣。這件球衣成為官方的客場球衣 嗎?太空人隊還會不會再穿那件灰色的? I don't think the black jerseys are going to make a return anytime soon. The Astros are using the red jersey more than the gray mainly because of comfort. The red jerseys are a lighter weight material, which keeps them cooler during day games in some of the hotter cities. 答︰我覺得那件灰色球衣最近都不會再穿了。太空人隊常穿紅色球衣,主要 是因為對身體較舒爽的緣故。紅色球衣為淺色材質,日間在一些較炎熱 的城市出賽會感覺比較涼爽。 With the dismissal of the hitting coach, do you believe guys like Preston Wilson and several others in the lineup have suffered because of the lack of a decent hitting coach? -- Chris S., Fort Worth, Texas 問︰原先的打擊教練被炒魷魚,像 Wilson 和打線中狀況不佳的人,你認 為是不是因為沒有像樣的打擊教練所導致的? No. A hitting coach can be a valuable tool for a hitter, but ultimately, he has to take responsiblity for his own performance. Wilson's struggles weren't Gary Gaetti's fault, and if Wilson continues to struggle, you can't pin it on Sean Berry, either. Coaches are there to help, advise, watch tape, detect flaws, make suggestions. It's up to the player to listen and make it work. I repeat -- the player first has to be willing to listen to the coach. That is not always the case. 答︰並非如此。對於打者來說,打擊教練可說是非常價值的工具,但是到最 後,他必須要為它自己的表現扛起責任。 Wilson 的差強人意並非 Gary Gaetti 的錯,假如 Wilson 的電扇持續吹送,你還是不能把錯 歸咎於 Sean Berry 身上。教練是在一旁提供協助、建議、看比賽 錄影帶,對於打擊的缺點給予修正。至於聽不聽與改進,就看球員 本身了。我再重複---球員首先必須願意聽從教練的指導。事實並非 總是如此。 It's only July, but I'm already curious as to the Astros' plans for September callups. Could you comment upon which players the Astros bring up at that time? -- Jimmy A., Houston 問︰雖然還是七月,但我已經很好奇太空人九月份的 callups。你可以談 一談哪個球員會被派上來嗎? It depends on if they're in a Wild Card race or not. If they are, I would imagine they'll bring up a couple of relievers to help out what is sure to be a tired bullpen. They may bring up a position player to boost the bench. If they're out of it by Sept. 1, they may be a little more liberal in the callups. It's a good time to bring up some of the youngsters who are expected to have a greater role with the team next year or beyond. 答︰這要端看他們能否競爭外卡。如果有機會,我想球團會派一些後援 投手上來幫助已經疲累不堪的牛棚。他們可能讓 position player 上來充實板凳。如果九月一日前,大勢已去,在 callups 球員方面 能多一點點的自由度。將未來在球隊中舉足輕重的年輕球員送上來 見識與體驗,是相當好的時機。 In 2000, the Astros lost 90 games and finished fourth, and when rosters expanded, they called up a handful of prospects to give them a taste of the big leagues. Morgan Ensberg was one of them. Such exposure to the Majors, in a non-pennant race situation, can be beneficial for a young player down the road. 太空人在千禧年的時候輸了90場比賽,在分區排名第四,在名單擴編 之時就 call up 幾名未來之星上來感受大聯盟的氣氛。寶哥就是其中 之一。在沒有贏球壓力的情況下上場亮相,對於年輕球員可說獲益匪淺。 How long does Phil Garner have left on his contract, and if the Astros don't make the playoffs this year, will his job be in jeopardy? -- Erik J., Houston 問︰ Garner的合約什麼時候到期?假如今年太空人沒打進季後賽,他的 飯碗會不會不保? Garner's job will not be in jeopardy if the Astros don't make the playoffs. Is it his fault that Andy Pettitte and Brad Lidge have been sporting 5.50 ERAs for most of the year or that Ensberg hasn't repeated his career year? Garner is doing a fine job, and you don't guide a team to two straight playoff appearances and then turn into an idiot overnight. He is signed through 2007 and I fully expect him to still be here when that contract expires. 答︰就算太空人沒打入季後賽, Garner 也不會有被炒魷魚的危機。請問 他是錯在今年讓小派和里肌的自責分率不斷在 5.50 左右嗎?還是讓 寶哥沒有像去年一樣亮眼的成表現? Garner 領導球隊很有一套,而 且你也不可能連續2年帶領全隊殺進季後賽後,在一夜之間,智力蛻減 成白癡。他的合約簽到 2007 年,我非常希望合約到期後,他還能繼續 在太空人隊執掌兵符。 Is Eric Munson related to Thurman Munson, who was also a catcher with the Yankees? -- Bill I., Lake Jackson, Texas 問︰ Eric Munson 和洋基隊的捕手 Thurman Munson 是不是親戚? No, Eric is not related to Thurman, but apparently he is asked that question quite a bit. 答︰沒有啦, Eric 和 Thurman 一點關係也沒有,不過很顯然他常被詢問 這個問題。 Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs. ================== 恩,沒翻好或需要修正的的,我再來改。 -- ~ 你對世界如何發問,世界就如何回答你 ~ -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 218.172.200.60 ※ 編輯: mysunny 來自: 218.172.200.60 (08/02 01:15)

08/02 02:05, , 1F
都沒提到火熱的Luke Scott XD
08/02 02:05, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #14ptsGt7 (Astros)