[新聞] Saito might be one and done

看板Asian-MLB作者 (believe my way)時間18年前 (2006/09/27 23:10), 編輯推噓5(505)
留言10則, 5人參與, 最新討論串1/1
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/atoz/article_1288001.php Tuesday, September 26, 2006 Saito might be one and done His stay in America could be short. By BILL PLUNKETT The Orange County Register LOS ANGELES – Takashi Saito came halfway around the world to throw one pitch. "From the beginning, it was my goal - the thing I wanted most - to step on a major-league mound and throw from a major-league mound just once," said Saito, who has done much more for the Dodgers. Saito, 36, a veteran of 14 professional seasons in Japan, was signed to a minor-league contract and sent to Triple-A out of spring training. He accomplished his goal when he officially became a rookie again April 9. In his first major-league appearance, he threw three pitches, getting Philadelphia third baseman David Bell to bounce the third one back to him for an inning-ending double play in the bottom of the eighth inning at Citizens Bank Park. His job was done for that day and his goal was met. But Saito became the Dodgers' accidental closer, filling the void left by Eric Gagne, Yhency Brazoban and Danys Baez and becoming one of the most effective relievers in the NL. Saito's 21 saves match the Dodgers' rookie record set by Brazoban in 2005. His 69 appearances lead the team. His 101 strikeouts in 75 innings are among the most by a rookie pitcher in the NL this season and the .174 batting average opposing hitters have managed against him is the lowest of any NL reliever. "When you compile the checklist of things he has accomplished here, it is tremendous," General Manager Ned Colletti said. "He had to come to a new country, a new league, a new culture after pitching in Japan his whole life. He had to join a new organization with new coaches, new teammates. ... "He came here with a lot to prove and he wound up coming in to fill as big a pair of shoes (Gagne's) as there is to fill, not just replacing a closer but replacing someone who won a Cy Young as a closer." But all Saito wanted was one pitch - to say he competed at the highest level in his profession. Now that he has done that, he might not be back for a second season. "Given our team's current situation (in the playoff race) and that we have a chance to be the best in the world, I'm only thinking about that goal," Saito said with help from a translator. "When the offseason comes and I have a chance to think about next year, I will. "I'm not really sure right now. But I think it's important when I do think about next year, that I think about everyone involved in that decision - meaning my family. There has to be a balance between what they feel and what I feel." Saito has two daughters, ages 11 and 8. Since leaving for Vero Beach, Fla., in February, he has seen his wife and daughters twice. They came to Florida for a week in spring training when the girls' school was on spring break and again in California in the summer. Colletti understands the feelings that could lead Saito to make his time in the U.S. a one-year wander. "We'll have to wait and see," Colletti said. "I can understand it, to some point. At the same time, he's had a pretty good experience here. Once may not be enough." Saito agrees his time with the Dodgers has been a good experience, on and off the field. The diversity of Los Angeles and the large Asian population in the area has made it a "very easy transition to life in America," Saito said. "There are a lot of Japanese restaurants, and if I want something specific there are a lot of Japanese markets where I can find it," he said. "In terms of living in the States, this has been a great place. People always ask me, 'Hasn't it been difficult?' and I have to say, 'Not really.'" Saito's outgoing personality made it easy for teammates to welcome him. From a spring Karaoke Night outing at a Vero Beach bar with Brad Penny and other teammates to being re-named "Sammy" Saito by fellow rookies Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp, Saito has fit in well. "Me being a new guy (acquired from the Oakland A's), him being a new guy and with our lockers next to each other - it was natural to start talking and make friends," Ethier said. "Me and Kemp, we thought he needed a nickname. Sammy Saito sounded good, kind of like Sammy Sosa." Saito returned the favor by writing Ethier's name in Japanese characters on a sheet of paper. Ethier had the pages framed for hanging at home. Ethier said he has become a fan of Japanese-style barbecue thanks to Saito - not such a fan of other dishes he tried. "Grilled cow tongue was OK," Ethier said. "But there was this dessert - noodles in a cold, melon broth - and some kind of pickled turnips with jellyfish. I tried those once. But only once." Saito has taken note of the food choices made by his teammates and marvels at it. "I really can't say there's anything strange I've encountered about American culture," Saito said. "One thing I did find amazing is the strength American players get from pizza and bread. Myself, I'm very focused on what I put in my body. But they eat so much pizza and bread." -- 齋藤大叔說還不確定明年會不會繼續待在道奇... 必須要跟他的家人討論 最後一段很有趣 :) -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 220.99.149.142

09/27 23:17, , 1F
米國人取暱稱真是無理頭...
09/27 23:17, 1F

09/27 23:18, , 2F
原來是和Sammy Sosa很像才取的...
09/27 23:18, 2F

09/28 00:08, , 3F
我還是希望他明年繼續當closer..去哪一隊都行XD
09/28 00:08, 3F

09/28 00:14, , 4F
當closer的合約應該也比較大:p
09/28 00:14, 4F